Home » News » View News
Latest News

6 Children Hurt When Gas Can Explodes Near Dallas

Font size

Posted: Dec 24, 2012 3:06 PM

Updated: Dec 24, 2012 3:44 PM

McKINNEY (AP) - Six children in Texas were injured by an explosion that happened after gas was poured from a can onto an open fire pit.

Four children were airlifted to an area hospital after the Monday afternoon explosion in McKinney, north of Dallas. McKinney Fire Department Spokeswoman Stacie Durham says the six children are believed to have been left unsupervised in the backyard, where a fire was burning. Adults were inside the home.

Durham says at least one of the children sprinkled gasoline from a can onto the fire and left the can near the pit. She says fumes from the can ignited.

All six children were near the can when it exploded.

The children range from ages 4 to 11.

Topics: dallas, mckinney, explosion, gas, children, hurt

KRGV is Social