Posted: Dec 3, 2012 4:44 PM
Updated: Dec 3, 2012 5:16 PM
CAMERON COUNTY - Six people were taken to area hospitals after becoming ill Monday at the Panasonic plant in Los Indios.
Rescue crews rushed to the plant after a forklift tire blew out emitting fumes that made dozens ill.
Cameron County Emergency Management Director Humberto Barrera said workers reported that they became ill after inhaling what they thought were gas fumes.
The incident happened just before the afternoon shift change. The plant was not shut down, officials said.
Officials with the company would not comment on the incident.