Posted: Apr 15, 2013 12:00 PM
Updated: Apr 15, 2013 12:07 PM
PALMVIEW - Five La Joya ISD employees are recovering, after they were exposed to a gas leak in a school cafeteria. It happened at Cesar Chavez Middle School before classes started.
La Joya ISD spokesperson Eden Ramirez said several workers opened the cafeteria a little before 6 a.m. and were overcome by fumes. The employees were taken to the hospital. Ramirez said one is still there, and the others are already out.
The gas at the cafeteria was turned off, as the gas company searches for the source of the leak. We're told no children were exposed to the natural gas.
Until the source of the gas leak is found, workers won't prepare food at the cafeteria. The district is hauling food from a nearby campus to the cafeteria.
"Our district has resources with our nutrition services... for these types of situations, so all of this has been planned out already," explained Ramirez.
The students were allowed back into the cafeteria to eat lunch. Ramirez said that's after firefighters gave the all-clear.