Posted: Dec 31, 2012 3:32 PM
Updated: Dec 31, 2012 4:00 PM
HARGILL (AP) - A preliminary investigation into a blaze that killed three children in a mobile home revealed that the fire likely was caused by an electrical problem, Hidalgo County officials said.
Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino on Monday said that investigators found no evidence of accelerants that would suggest arson. He said space heaters in the home also did not cause the fire early Sunday morning.
Trevino speculated that the family may have been running extension cords from one trailer to the other.
The side-by-side mobile homes were engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
Trevino says the victims were 15-day-old Victorino Robledo, 1-year-old Angelica Robledo and 3-year-old Salvador Robledo.
The children's parents and grandfather were taken to San Antonio for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation.