Posted: Jan 25, 2013 7:12 PM
Updated: Jan 25, 2013 7:15 PM
EDINBURG - A teen who allegedly shot at a federal agent last year in Hargill did so willingly, prosecutors said Friday during a hearing.
The statement was heard in Judge Jesse Contreras court. He will determine if the 17-year-old will be tried as an adult.
Prosecutors said the teen knew what he was doing when he helped his brother and father chase and shoot Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Kelton Harrison on July 3, 2012. The teen was 16 at the time of the incident.
Defense attorneys claim the teen is a model student and athlete, not a ruthless gun-totting criminal.
The lead investigator in the case said the teen fired willingly on the federal agent.
The teen could face up to 20 years behind bars for his role in the shooting.
Defense attorneys said the teen was only following his father's orders. They argue he should not be tried as an adult.
The lead investigators said the teen did not show any remorse after the shooting.
Officials said the family stashed drugs in their house.
Testimony revealed Harrison and his partner were on a surveillance mission in Hargill the morning of the shooting. The agent was undercover and never identified himself.
Contreras will decide next week if the teen goes to court as an adult. If he is certified as an adult, the teen will be tried in a state court. His brother and father will be tried in federal court.