- Somos Noticias
- Submit a Tip
- Somos El Valle
No New Motions Filed in John Feit’s Pretrial HearingPosted: Updated:
EDINBURG – Former McAllen priest John Feit made an appearance in court on Thursday.
He’s accused of murdering beauty queen Irene Garza 56 years ago.
The purpose of the hearing was a status check. Both the state and defense are still preparing for trial.
The defense said they are still going through discovery that means gathering evidence for trial.
Feit was escorted into the courtroom by Hidalgo County Sheriff’s deputies. He greeted courtroom staff with a friendly good morning.
The hearing was over in just a few minutes. No new motions were filed.
Another pretrial hearing is set for Dec. 8. Judge Luis Singleterry mentioned a trial date may be set at that hearing.
Feit was arrested outside his Arizona apartment back in February and charged with murder.
Garza was last seen in April 1960 going to confession at Sacred Heart Church in McAllen. Feit was a priest at an Edinburg church but would visit the McAllen church to hear confessions and offer mass.
He was always a person of interest in the case but was never arrested until 56 years later.
- Arrest Made in 56-Year-Old Murder Case
- Grand Jury Indicts Suspect in Murder Case
- Ex-Priest Arrested for 1960 Murder
- District Attorney: New Evidence in Cold Case
- Former KRGV Reporter Surprised by Arrest in 56-Year-Old Murder Case
- Timeline: 1960 McAllen Murder Investigation
- Victim’s Cousin Relieved after Alleged Murderer’s Extradition
- Ex-Boyfriend of Murder Victim Remembers Relationship