Thousands of Gallons of Fuel Regularly Stolen in Mexico

Posted: Updated:

WESLACO – Mexican state police stand 300 yards away from a dozen pickup trucks in a Mexican cornfield. It’s obvious people are filling plastic tanks in the back of the trucks with stolen fuel. But the state police can’t confront them.

It’s too dangerous. They’re waiting for the army to arrive.

State police have been ordered to avoid confrontations with those who support or are hired by fuel thieves. Events like this have led to fires or gunfights in the past.

"When we do an operation to detain these persons or to recover hydrocarbon, several times they get women and children in front of them as human shields to avoid capture,” said Jesus Morales, a top police official in the Mexican state of Puebla.

Thousands of gallons of gasoline are stolen on an average day. Authorities said of all the fuel stolen, only 10 percent is sold to the public. The other 90 percent goes to big business groups.

Para leer noticias en español, visite nuestra sección Español.
CURRENT CONDITIONS
/
  • Stories

    • Sunday, officers responded to a home on the 1200 block of Calle Milpa on a call that the girl was found unresponsive in an inflatable pool.

    • (Gaston County Sheriff's Office via AP). This Sunday, May 20, 2018, booking photo provided by the Gaston County Sheriff's Office shows Roger Self. Police say that Self intentionally rammed a vehicle into a restaurant shortly after midday Sunday, May 20...

      Man faces murder charges in restaurant crash that killed kin

      Authorities say man intentionally rammed vehicle into a North Carolina restaurant busy with weekend lunch crowd, killing his daughter, another person and injuring several others.
    • Impacts of Artificial Reef on Red Snapper Fishing Season

      Federal Red Snapper fishing season is set to begin June 1st.

      It's projected to be 40 days longer this year than last year.

    • The suspects are considered armed and dangerous.

    • Authorities are investigating the death of a youth in custody at the Evins Regional Juvenile Center in Edinburg.