Meteorologist (Bilingual)Posted: Oct 16, 2018 04:26 PM
KRGV-TV, a news leader in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas is looking for a Bilingual (English & Spanish) Weather Anchor. The ideal candidate will be a great storyteller who will excel in this digital age of journalism. We want journalists who can create unique and shareable stories for all platforms through memorable writing, photography and editing.
- Prepare and present accurate weather forecasts
- Build weather graphics
- Interact live with viewers on multiple platforms, especially during severe or inconvenient weather
- Track and warn viewers of severe weather during continuous coverage
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for on-air broadcasting.
- Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
- Develop news sources for general assignment and special areas of interest.
- Produce news stories that are unique and captivating.
- Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
- Enterprise news stories.
- Shoot, write and edit packaged reports.
- Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures,
- Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology (web cam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, meteorology or related field
- 2-5 years of experience preferred; Weather experience is a plus!
- Bilingual, (English & Spanish) speaking preferred
- Experience with WSI systems preferred
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news and weather reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active newshound and weather presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
KRGV (ABC) is located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. (Harlingen - Weslaco - Brownsville - McAllen, Texas, DMA #84)
Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technologies. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market-leading ratings in a fast growing area with significant breaking news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance, we want to ensure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
If you know of any person(s) who might be qualified for the above vacancy please send a cover letter and resume to Tammy Meier, Personnel Manager, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599; or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.