City Asks for Assistance Identifying Abandoned Structures

3 years 2 months 3 weeks ago Monday, May 15 2017 May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017 4:30 PM May 15, 2017 in News

PHARR –The city of Pharr is asking for assistance in identifying abandoned structures the city needs to take down.

City officials are asking residents to report the buildings for voluntary or forced demolitions.

With a voluntary demolition, a Pharr resident can report an old structure they own and the city will help in the process of tearing them down.

Pharr also has forced demolitions, where city code enforcement searches for the last known owner of a building. If an owner is not found and the city commission gives its okay, the structure is demolished by the city.

Currently, code enforcement is looking for the last known owner or a home on Hawk Street, destroyed by a November 2016 arson.

Code enforcement officer Rick Gamboa said there are dangers associated with these buildings.

“Teenage delinquents doing drugs and just causing mischief on our properties here, but we usually get good neighbors complaining and PD will come over. Pharr PD will come over and address the situation to us,” Gamboa said.

If anyone would like to report an abandoned property in Pharr they can call the city’s code compliance office at (956) 702-4222.

More News

7 Days