Fire Breaks Out Inside IDEA Classroom in McAllen
MCALLEN – Twenty students and a teacher are recovering after a fire ignited inside a classroom in McAllen, according to IDEA Public Schools CEO Tom Torkelson.
Multiple agencies responded Thursday to the IDEA Public School campus at 201 North Bentsen Road in McAllen after receiving a call around 9:30 a.m.
McAllen Fire Cpt. James Farrell said a teacher was instructing a science experiment to students when the fire started. The fire was put out before firefighters arrived.
“On arrival, we did find a small fire in a room that had been extinguished. We quickly made sure the fire was completely extinguished,” he said. “We did have a couple individuals that suffered some minor injuries and we assisted med care and transporting them (to the hospital).”
Torkelson said around 20 students were treated. He said the teacher sustained first and second-degree burns to her abdomen.
The school gave CHANNEL 5 NEWS the following statement:
All classes at the IDEA school remain in session.
IDEA Public Schools and the McAllen Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.
Alton residents face issues with standing water
Valley restaurant reacts to CDC guidelines
SPI fisherman fighting for his life after contracting flesh-eating bacteria
Hidalgo County leaders call for government's help amid migrant surge
Parents react to CDC guideline recommending students mask up in schools