Firefighters' Hospitalized Brings Awareness to Job Risks
DONNA - On Friday two Donna Volunteer firefighters are recovering from severe bruising. They were injured while fighting a house fire near Donna.
A family of six was forced out of their home on Thursday night.
A lonely playground was a place where kids played and made happy memories. Now, it stands as a reminder of the rage that tore through the children’s home.
Donna Fire Department Chief David Simmons was first on the scene.
"The owner says she lit the heater and it was an electric heater. There were some sparks flying off of and apparently it caught the floor on fire,” said Simmons.
Simmons said the property has the old water well.
It was covered with concrete at the time.
"I, myself, I even walked across it. I know I did firemen, of course, several were walking across it,” said Simmons.
He said two of his firefighters fell in.
"From grade level to the water level it was approximately 10 feet and it was probably an additional five feet of water in the well,” said Simmons.
Simmons explained the Edinburg Fire Department assisted in rescuing them.
“They really just received severe bruising,” said Simmons.
He explained the risks that come with the job.
"It's very dangerous, every call is going to be different. I always preach to my personnel be prepared for the unexpected,” said Simmons.
The fire chief pointed out a firefighter must be prepared to fight fires.
The experience of last night's fire teaches them, they will sometimes be called upon to rescue each other.
Simmons said the two injured firefighters will take a week off to recover.
The family whose home burned down is staying with loved ones.
Maximum of 2 people per household allowed in Weslaco businesses
Crisis line launched to help cope with anxiety amid coronavirus outbreak
Valley health officials expand on hospital resources available for coronavirus treatment
Harlingen police looking for 2 men following home burglary
Valley first responders taking extra precautions amid pandemic