x

Project to fill defunct brine well facing $9M shortfall

10 months 4 weeks 11 hours ago Monday, October 28 2019 Oct 28, 2019 October 28, 2019 10:07 PM October 28, 2019 in News - AP Texas Headlines

CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) - A project aiming to stop a defunct brine well in southeastern New Mexico from collapsing is facing an estimated $9 million shortfall.

The Carlsbad Current-Argus reports New Mexico Energy Secretary Sarah Cottrell Propst said last week the anticipated budget shortfall for the remediation of the Carlsbad Brine Well is $8.9 million. She says the cost of the project rose during the engineering and design work.

The project, which would fill a 400-foot (122-meter) underground cavity below the intersection of U.S Highways 285 and 62/180, was first estimated to cost $43 million.

A collapse could interrupt a main thoroughfare for New Mexico's oil industry while also damaging the Carlsbad Irrigation District and train tracks.

Experts say a collapse could cost as much as $1 billion in damages, litigation and loss of life.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More News

Radar
7 Days