Trailer Fire in Cameron Co. Destroys Family’s Memories
LOS INDIOS – Cameron County fire investigators are looking into a storage trailer fire that happened in Los Indios.
The incident happened Wednesday shortly before 5 p.m. San Benito fire crews quickly responded to avoid more damage.
But the ongoing extreme heat reignited the fire Thursday afternoon.
Cameron County Deputy Fire Marshal Jimmy Ramos said the family called for help after realizing their outdoor storage trailer was on fire.
Ramos said there was no electricity to the trailer or suspicious activity.
The family was too distraught to speak on camera, but told CHANNEL 5 NEWS they lost irreplaceable family pictures, antiques and household items.
"Upon arrival, the trailer was fully engulfed. It has no running power to it,” said Ramos.
Ramos said the tin trailer had windows, but all of them were shut allowing no ventilation.
He said the trailer may have trapped enough heat to ignite the items inside.
"The way the temperatures are right now, it's really causing pretty much anything to reach its ignition temperature a lot faster,” he said.
Ramos added things like prescription glasses, cell phones, aerosol cans, lighters and even a bag of chips - because of the oil inside the bag - can help ignite a fire in an overheated garage or vehicle.
"People should try not to store any flammable liquids within places that are capable of getting really hot," he said.
Ramos said those can include cans of paint or paint thinners, which are also highly flammable if left exposed to extreme heat.
Valley Made, Local Strong: Glitzy Glam Tea Parties
3,000 Cameron County residents line up for COVID-19 vaccine vouchers despite county...
Early announcement of vaccine clinic prompts concerns in some Hidalgo County residents
'Today, democracy won in America': Valley congressional leaders on Biden Inauguration Day
Family seeking justice after Edinburg woman killed in hit-and-run crash in Weslaco