x

Valley Man Speaks Out About Alleged Abuse from Priest

1 year 8 months 2 weeks ago Tuesday, February 05 2019 Feb 5, 2019 February 05, 2019 10:58 PM February 05, 2019 in News - Local

WESLACO – The list of 14 clergy credibly accused of abuse of a minor was released by the Catholic Diocese of Brownsville last week.

A Rio Grande Valley man is breaking his silence about his alleged abuse from a priest, whose name was on the list released.

He says when he saw his abuser’s name on the list, his mind drifted back to his childhood when he served as an altar boy.

“I felt like somebody punched me in my stomach. Even right now that I talk about it, I get this knot in my stomach. The memories just come back," he says.

He is sharing what he says happened when he was only nine years old.

"I don't blame the Church. I blame him for what he did, and I blame the bishops because I believe they allowed it by moving him from church to church, if they knew what he was doing. I can't believe they didn't put a stop to it," he says.

He says living in silence with this burden has led him to wonder what kind of life he could’ve had.

The priest in question was on the list released by the Brownsville diocese and also served as a priest in Laredo.

The diocese in Laredo released its list last week as well; it contained no names.

The Laredo diocese said it found no credibly accused priests in its history.

Authorities encourage anyone who has been abused or knows of someone who has been abused to file a report.

More News

Radar
7 Days