Posted May 26, 2021
KRGV-TV5 in Weslaco, Texas has the following vacancy on the staff:
KRGV-TV, Channel 5 News, the ABC Affiliate and #1 news station in the McAllen- Harlingen- Brownsville, Texas market (#84), is looking for an experienced: FULL TIME-News Reporter.
The successful candidate will be someone who has the ability to develop contacts and online sources to get a story that is uniquely yours. You must be able to dig, to look beyond the obvious to find a story. The right candidate must have a minimum of 1-year experience reporting in a commercial television news operation.
- · Have a passion for storytelling and aggressively creating good content on all platforms.
- · Show strong writing skills for broadcast and digital platforms
- · Being bilingual in Spanish extremely helpful.
- · Generate significant enterprise local and hyper local news stories
- · This individual should be able to understand a story from its inception, to research the subject matter, identify the key characters and put the story together.
- · Work closely with a photographer-visual storyteller to produce stories that stand out. (We are not an MMJ newsroom)
- · Think and produce digitally by posting digital content daily that relates to each TV story.
- · Post daily on social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook
- · Develop sources to find unique, non-traditional and exclusive story ideas for all platforms.
- · Develop unique contacts and continuously cultivate them.
- · Pitch your own story ideas. You have to bring it.
- · Be a reporter unafraid to stand apart, be innovative, not worry about being different or having a different style.
- · Perform other tasks as required by newsroom management.
- · Do active, creative and interesting stand ups and live shots
- · BA/BS in Journalism, Communications or related field
- · Knowledge of ENPS and Edius, a plus.
- · Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines
- · 1 year minimum as a reporter at a commercial television news operation
KRGV (ABC) is located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. (Harlingen – Weslaco – Brownsville – McAllen, Texas DMA #84) Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technologies. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market leading ratings in a fast growing area with significant breaking news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance we want to make insure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free work place.
If you are qualified for the above vacancy send resume to Elizabeth Gaona, Director of Human Resources, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.