Posted on July 2, 2020.
KRGV-TV Channel 5 News, the ABC affiliate and #1 news station in the McAllen-Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas, market (#84), is looking for an experienced reporter.
The successful candidate will be someone who has shown, over time, the ability to develop contacts and online sources to get a story that is uniquely yours. You must be able to dig, to look beyond the obvious to find a story. The right candidate must have at least one year of reporting experience at a commercial television news operation; have a passion for storytelling and aggressively creating good content on all platforms; and generate significant enterprise, local and hyper-local news stories by learning about the McAllen-Harlingen-Brownsville (Rio Grande Valley) market.
The finalist must show strong writing skills for broadcast and digital platforms. Being bilingual in Spanish extremely helpful.
- This individual should be able to understand a story from its inception, to research the subject matter, identify the key characters and put the story together.
- Work closely with a photographer (visual storyteller) to produce stories that stand out.
- Think and produce digitally by posting digital content daily that relates to each TV story.
- Post daily on social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook.
- Develop sources to find unique, non-traditional and exclusive story ideas for all platforms.
- Develop unique contacts and continuously cultivate them.
- Pitch your own story ideas. You have to bring it.
- Be a reporter unafraid to stand apart, be innovative, not worry about being different or having a different style.
- Perform other tasks as required by newsroom management.
- Do active, creative and interesting stand ups and live shots.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field.
- Knowledge of ENPS and Edius a plus.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- One year minimum as a reporter at a commercial television news operation.
KRGV-TV (ABC) is located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. (Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, Texas, DMA #84). Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV-TV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technologies. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market leading ratings in a fast growing area with significant breaking news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person's race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance we want to make insure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free work place.
If you know of any person(s) who might be qualified for the above vacancy, please send a cover letter and resume to Tammy Meier, Personnel Manager, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599; or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.