News Reporter (Spanish)
Posted on Aug. 8, 2020.
Azteca Valle in the McAllen-Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas, market, the 10th-largest Hispanic market in the U.S and part of KRGV-TV Channel 5 News, the largest news operation in any language in South Texas, is looking for an experienced, Spanish-speaking reporter for our Spanish-language newscasts.
We will consider the right beginner.
The successful candidate will be someone who has the ability to develop contacts and online sources to get a story that is uniquely yours. You must be able to dig, to look beyond the obvious to find a story. The right candidate must have a passion for generating significant enterprise, local and hyper-local news stories; storytelling, and aggressively creating good content on all platforms. You should also have a passion for breaking news and using creative stand-ups and live shots as part of telling your story.
• Proficiency in Spanish writing and speaking required.
• Work closely in a team environment with a photographer to produce stories that stand out.
• Produce digital content daily that relates to each TV story.
• Post daily on social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook.
• Develop sources to find unique, non-traditional and exclusive story ideas for all platforms.
• Develop unique contacts and continuously cultivate them.
• Pitch your own story ideas.
• Perform other tasks as required by newsroom management including occasional MMJ reporting
• 1-2 years experience as a television reporter, preferably with a Spanish-language news station.
• BA/BS in Journalism, Communications or related field.
• Knowledge of ENPS and Edius a plus.
• Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
KRGV (ABC) and digital 5.2 are located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. (Harlingen – Weslaco – Brownsville – McAllen, Texas DMA #84) Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technologies. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market leading ratings in a fast growing area with significant breaking news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance we want to make insure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free work place.
If you know of any person(s) who might be qualified for the above vacancy, please send a cover letter and resume to Tammy Meier, Personnel Manager, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org