Full-Time Weekend Anchor/Weekday Reporter
Posted March 24, 2022
KRGV-TV5 in Weslaco, Texas has the following vacancy:
KRGV-TV Channel 5 News, the ABC affiliate in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas is looking for a Weekend Anchor/Weekday Reporter.
We are looking for an anchor who will shine in our #1 rated weekend newscasts and is a great storyteller as anchor and three day a week reporter.
KRGV Channel 5 News is The Valley’s News Channel, located in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. Channel 5 News is the #1 rated and largest news operation in South Texas. We do more news than any other station in the market 30 hours per week.
The right candidate must generate significant enterprise local and hyper local news stories and be able to write for broadcast and digital platforms. Bilingual skills in Spanish are extremely helpful. We’re looking for a leader who will help plan and execute winning weekend news coverage on-air and online.
This position is Full Time.
- • Anchor weekend newscasts, either mornings or evenings
- • Work closely with the weekend staff including producers, reporters, video editors and the digital team to develop news content and help to produce compelling, up to date newscasts.
- • Write news copy using best practices for excellent broadcast style.
- • Establish a good on-air rapport with other members of the weekend team, especially with weekend meteorologists and sports anchors.
- • Three days a week, you will be a general assignment reporter, develop and pitch daily enterprise stories, edit and write stories daily, and experience doing active live shots.
- • You may also fill-in anchor as requested by management.
- • Work closely with a photographer-visual storyteller to produce stories that stand out.
- • Produce digital content daily that relates to each TV story.
- • Post daily on social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook
- • Outside of the regular work day you’ll be expected to make public appearances on behalf of the station
- • A minimum of one year’s experience anchoring/reporting for a commercial television news operation.
- • An above-average, demonstrable knowledge of television newscast production techniques and television news writing is very helpful.
- • Bilingual in Spanish is very helpful but not required.
KRGV-TV, an ABC affiliate, is located in the warm and beautiful Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. It serves the Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen Designated Market Area (DMA #83).
Privately owned by the Manship family since 1964, KRGV-TV offers its employees excellent benefits and use of state-of-the-art technology. Channel 5 News is a hard news brand that drives market-leading ratings in a fast-growing part of Texas. Local stories frequently become national news.
KRGV-TV does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Federal Communications Commission specifically prohibits discriminatory employment practices.
Informing you and your organization of the above employment opportunity is an affirmative action on our part to actively seek qualified minorities and women for our staff vacancies. Through your assistance we want to make insure that our employment opportunities are made known to members of minority groups and to women.
KRGV-TV is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
If you are qualified for the above vacancy send resume to Elizabeth Gaona, Director of Human Resources, KRGV-TV, P.O. Box 5, Weslaco, Texas 78599 or email to email@example.com.