Brownsville Fire Dept. Investigates House Fire
BROWNSVILLE – Brownsville fire investigators are looking into what sparked a house fire in the Southmost area.
Crews responded Thursday afternoon to the scene on Southmost Blvd and 30th Street.
Firefighters tell CHANNEL 5 NEWS one room was extensively damaged and the rest of the house was damaged by the smoke.
No one was inside the house at the time the blaze broke out and no injuries were reported, officials say.
An electrician working nearby tells us he saw the black smoke billowing and recognized it wasn’t normal.
“The window A/C unit on this window, by the fence was on fire. So I opted to use my ax to tear it out and even as it was burning on the ground, I pulled the extension cord, and blankets and everything that was smoldering inside the house,” described Raul Quintanilla, who placed the call to the fire department. “Then I went around the house yelling and asking if anyone was inside the house, but I didn't hear anyone.”
Fire crews working on another blaze down the road arrived within minutes of the call, and helped prevent a total loss.