Fire Fighters Urge People to Check Their Heaters
EDINBURG-----As we get into the cooler season, local fire fighters are urging people to be mindful of their heaters and the dangers they can cause if not properly maintained.
Whether it's gas or electric it's important to make sure they are properly serviced or it may lead to a fire.
Edinburg Fire Chief, Shawn Snider says during the last holiday season their department responded to about 30 heater fires. Snider says you should make sure to clean your heater of lint and dirt. It can burn and set the heater on fire.
If you have a gas heater, Snider says you also need to make sure it's running properly, "You can get heavy build up of carbon monoxide in the house and it can cause injury and even death if you breathe it too long. You want to make sure the fires coming off the hose are blue tipped at the end of them if you see any orange at all and that includes the water heater. Also they need to be serviced cause they are not burning properly."
As we get into the holiday season, Snider also recommends you check your smoke detectors and make an evacuation plan for your home. He says you should check to see if your windows can properly open.
Officials answer how La Joya ISD's vaccine clinic was prematurely released
RGV residents hopeful after Kamala Harris became Vice President
Valley Made, Local Strong: Glitzy Glam Tea Parties
3,000 Cameron County residents line up for COVID-19 vaccine vouchers despite county...
Early announcement of vaccine clinic prompts concerns in some Hidalgo County residents