Gear Failure in Brownsville Blaze Leaves Firefighter with Bu
BROWNSVILLE –One of the two Brownsville firefighters injured in a blaze is recovering well after his equipment caused him several burns.
Authorities said a family lost their Brownsville home on Austrian Pine due to a grease fire on Thursday.
Brownsville Fire Chief Carlos Elizondo said one of the firefighter’s equipment melted, leaving him with third-degree burns. He said the fire turned into a rescue mission after they received reports that someone was inside.
Nobody was inside the structure, but two of his men were hurt. The other firefighter who suffered smoke inhalation is still recovering in a local hospital. He’s expected to be released on Saturday.
Elizondo said extreme temperatures of up to 700 degrees melted their equipment. The flames scorched their jackets and damaged the first layer. Although they didn’t burn through, the protective layer steam caused the firefighter burns.
“(It’s) good equipment… (it) did what it was supposed to do and it saved the firefighter’s life.” He said.
Elizondo said they plan to use the decommissioned gear to train other firefighters. He advised people should never face a fire without the proper protective gear.
Thanksgiving safety tips: How to prevent cooking fires
Los Fresnos and Rio Hondo receive $40,000 grant for STEM programs
Morning Weather Forecast for Mon. Nov. 23, 2020
Marijana proponents 'optimistic' Texas lawmakers will support legalization
DHR Health hosts conference for at-home caregivers