Local Man Speaks Out on Surviving Home Fire
MISSION – A 90-year-old local resident is speaking out about surviving a fire in his home in the middle of the night.
Bob Hensley says he wasn’t able to get up when the fire’s smoke caused him to be disoriented; he says his neighbors broke in and dragged him to safety.
Hensley says he lost his home to the fire that almost cost him his life as well.
His neighbor, Sandy Overly, says the smoke detector alerted them and rushed to help Hensley.
“Be prepared with smoke alarms, and pay attention to when alarms go off in your neighborhood. Don't just ignore them, step outside, look around to see what is unusual,” says Overly.
The Mission Fire Chief, Gilbert Sanchez, says time is valuable when it comes to a fire.
“Every minute since the start of the fire, the fire can grow double its size. So it is very important that all residents have at least a basic battery powered smoke detector in their rooms and outside their corridors,” says Sanchez.
For more information, watch the video above.