McAllen Police Prepare Security Plan for Holiday Parade
MCALLEN – A McAllen man sees a need for more security at this year's holiday parade. He said residents should be cautious after recent acts of violence against crowds.
For 43 years, Thomas Maxwell has lived in a home passed down for generations. It is across the street from the route for the Dec. 2 McAllen Holiday Parade. He said he is positioned well to check out the festivities.
"It's convenient and all that, I don't have to drive so far," said Maxwell.
But he is concerned about his own security after recent attacks in places such as Las Vegas, New York or Sutherland Springs.
"Everything's going on nowadays. You never know who's got a gun and who's not got a gun. And, who's crazy and who's not crazy," he added.
Maxwell said if he is confronted with danger, he will grab his own gun to keep himself and his home protected.
"If I gotta defend myself and all that, I got the right to bear arms so I'm gonna do it," he said.
CHANNEL 5 NEWS reached out to McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez. He said with a large crowd of 200,000 attending, his department spent the last few months putting together a security plan. He said it will involve law enforcement on the ground and in the air.
"I can tell you we have federal agencies involved, I can tell you we have state agencies involved, I can tell you we have uniformed and un-uniformed people throughout. I can tell you we are sensitive to all the recent incidents that have occurred in this country of ours," Rodriguez explained.
Rodriguez added his plan also takes into account recent attacks where a vehicle is used to mow down crowds of people.
"We are sensitive to that idea, in terms of it already happened several times not only in this country but throughout the world. We go back several years and we've been barricading our parade route," he added.
Rodriguez said the law enforcement presence will take further steps, beyond barricading, to keep cars from hitting parade-goers.