Space Heater Causes Fire in Donna
DONNA – A space heater is being blamed for an overnight fire in Donna that left a family living in a shelter.
The fire happened around 10:00 Thursday night at a house between Dillon and Trenton streets.
The Hidalgo County Deputy Fire Marshal John Franz said two adults and their four children were evacuated from the home in rural Donna.
Franz said during the rescue and putting out of the blaze, two Donna firefighters fell in a 12-foot hole.
The Edinburg Fire Department rescued the two firefighters. They were taken to the hospital.
The family wasn’t hurt.
CHANNEL 5 NEWS has some tips so people can stay safe when using space heaters:
- Safety experts warn don’t ever use a damaged space heater.
- Make sure you’re around and awake when the heater is on.
- You want to keep the heater at least three feet away from anything flammable.
- Always plug your space heater directly into a wall socket.
- Avoid power strips and extension cords.
McAllen restaurant owner featured on Beat Bobby Flay cooking show
'She was afraid to go to school': Edinburg mom speaks out against...
Valley representative reacts to new redistricting maps
Valley soldier killed in military vehicle crash returns home
Elsa boy's accidental death turns attention to gun safety