Edinburg Man Says Fast Food Gift Card Didn't Work When He Needed It

4 years 7 months 3 days ago Wednesday, February 21 2018 Feb 21, 2018 February 21, 2018 5:51 PM February 21, 2018 in News

EDINBURG – An Edinburg man is wondering why his fast food gift certificate did not work for him.

Norm Gilbert says bargain hunting is a way of life for him and his mom. He says on a fixed budget, every penny counts.

Gilbert says it's a rare treat to go out for a meal with his mom. When he can make it happen, he knows she appreciates it.

"We like taking mom out so we don't have to cook. But when we're out and about, a quick meal, she likes fish," he says.

He tells CHANNEL 5 NEWS he bought his mom a $25 gift card for one of her favorite restaurants, Long John Silver's, for Christmas. He used it as a stocking stuffer and planned to take her out for a nice lunch down the road.

Gilbert says a month later, in January, he took her to an Edinburg Long John Silver's.

"I had ordered and handed them the card, and they said it's not accepted," he recalls.

He says he just left without the food.

Gilbert says since then, he has tried to find out why his gift card was denied.

"I tried online but they – there's no way to contact them online, without a store number and I don't know the store number," he says.

Gilbert notes he cannot find a receipt for the card. He says he wants to get his money back so he can get his mom a meal.

CHANNEL 5 NEWS reached out to the Long John Silver's where Gilbert's gift card was rejected. The restaurant's manager spoke with us in an off-camera interview. They say the card states on the back that it may not be accepted at some locations.

The Edinburg establishment recommended Gilbert either try a Long John Silver's located in Weslaco that will accept his card. They say he could also try for a refund where he purchased it.

We reached out to the store where he bought the card, Dollar General. A spokesperson for Dollar General, who only identified herself as Mandy H., says her company can help Gilbert even without his receipt.

"If it's not electrical then you can have an exchange. Even if it's without a receipt, you can exchange for the same item or a store credit," she says.

Mandy says Gilbert simply has to go to his local Dollar General and ask to make the exchange.

Gilbert says he will visit his nearest store to trade in his card in the coming days.

More News

7 Days