South Carolina: Nevada push to move plutonium repeats risks
By SCOTT SONNER
RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nevada's demand for the U.S. government to remove weapons-grade plutonium that was secretly trucked to a site north of Las Vegas last year contradicts its claim that moving radioactive material is dangerous, according to lawyers for South Carolina, where the shipment originated.
South Carolina and the U.S. Energy Department filed their first responses this week to Nevada's legal challenge in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Nevada appealed after a federal judge in Reno refused to temporarily ban any more shipments to the state.
The Trump administration has promised no more plutonium will be transported to Nevada from the Savannah River Site in South Carolina or any other nuclear facility. But government attorneys say the courts have no legal power to undo the shipment that's already been made.
South Carolina says moving the plutonium from the Nevada National Security Site would "repeat the risks of effects that Nevada claimed in district court would cause it irreparable harm."
"The public's interest does not favor unnecessary shipments of defense plutonium over the nation's highways," South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson wrote in a brief filed Monday.
"The plutonium is currently stored in a safe, secure environment at NNSS, which is more than equipped for this task - as it has done for decades. The plutonium should remain there until (the U.S. is) prepared to transfer it to its ultimate home in New Mexico," the document says.
The shipment of one-half metric ton (1,102 pounds) of plutonium - which was kept secret until January - was part of the government's effort to comply with an earlier court order to remove at least a metric ton (2,204 pounds) of the material from the Savannah River Site by Jan. 1, 2020.
The Energy Department unsuccessfully appealed the December 2016 order, arguing that removing the plutonium by the deadline was "simply impossible" if it also complied with environmental laws.
Nevada's lawyers said that months later, "the impossible happened" and the Department of Energy completed an analysis declaring the Nevada site a prime candidate for indefinitely housing the material.
"DOE's previous capacity, safety, security and surveillance concerns magically disappeared," Nevada said in its appeal.
The government's new filing says Nevada took those comments out of context.
It says references to potential radiation exposure and difficulty meeting the 2020 deadline were tied to an initial plan to dilute the plutonium into waste - a process known as "down blending" - for disposal.
"The weapons-useable plutonium at issue here is not being 'down blended' or turned into waste. ... The plutonium here is being repurposed for weapons production," government lawyers wrote.
Nevada's concerns that the shipping containers may experience corrosion and are unsafe for storage come from an earlier federal declaration, which discussed handling plutonium in a different form. The government disclosed in its filing that the plutonium shipped to Nevada was in solid metal form and lacks the same concerns.
Monica Moazez, spokeswoman for Nevada's attorney general, said in an email to The Associated Press late Thursday that the office was still reviewing the latest documents and had no immediate comment.
U.S. Judge Miranda Du in Reno denied a motion seeking to block any shipments pending the appeal. She said the matter was moot because the plutonium already had been shipped.
Nevada added the request to remove the plutonium in its appeal.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Valley doctor says minimal, undetected levels of antibodies are normal
Immigration advocates continue push for pathway to citizenship
New Texas A&M program will train people in manufacturing careers
Services available for sexual assault victims at UTRGV
Money available for homeowners who suffered flood damage