Delta Lake Remains Closed To Swimming Decades After Deadly Infection
DELTA LAKE - A Central Texas girl recently died after contracting a brain-eating amoeba.
Something similar happened back in the 70's.
A Rio Grande Valley child died after swimming in Delta Lake and also contracting an amoeba.
Since the child's death, people are not allowed to swim at Delta Lake.
Swimming has been banned since the 1970s, according to the Texas Historical Commission.
They say this area owned by the Delta Lake Irrigation District closed to swimming after high concentration of microorganisms were found in the water.
Watch the video for the full story.
McAllen Fire Department offers space heater safety tips
Photographer's Perspective: Capturing optimism in tough situations
Valley organization cleaning up cemetery in honor of MLK Day
Weslaco brothers react to new house made by community volunteers
Silver Alert issued for missing 77-year-old man