x

Minnesota sues Gov. Abbott, Cameron County to extradite Valley ICE agent accused of shooting Venezuelan man

Minnesota sues Gov. Abbott, Cameron County to extradite Valley ICE agent accused of shooting Venezuelan man
9 hours 50 minutes 28 seconds ago Tuesday, August 18 2026 Aug 18, 2026 August 18, 2026 11:44 AM August 18, 2026 in News - Local
Source: KRGV

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is suing Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to force the extradition of an ICE agent charged with shooting someone inside a Minneapolis home.

ICE agent Christian Castro faces four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime. Prosecutors say he fired into an occupied home on Jan. 14, 2026, striking a Venezuelan man in the leg. The bullet's final impact point was a child's bedroom wall.

According to The Associated Press, Castro and one other agent lied about the shooting by claiming they had been attacked by two men while attempting to arrest one of them.

Video of the incident released by Minneapolis officials appears to refute those claims.

Castro was arrested by Texas Rangers on May 29, 2026, in Harlingen. A Cameron County judge ordered him held pending extradition proceedings.

RELATED STORY: Prosecutor asks Gov. Abbott to sign extradition papers for RGV ICE agent facing assault charges in Minnesota

Gov. Tim Walz sent Abbott an extradition request on June 2, 2026. Abbott has not signed the rendition warrant.

Ellison is also asking the court to issue a temporary restraining order to prevent the Cameron County Sheriff's Office from releasing Castro and to require Abbott to sign the extradition warrant.

"A Hennepin County District Court judge found probable cause to believe that ICE agent Christian Castro committed felony-level assault when he allegedly fired his gun into a Minnesota home with people inside it and hit someone," Ellison said in a statement. "A Hennepin County District Court judge also found probable cause to believe that Castro falsely reported a crime because he allegedly lied about the circumstances surrounding the shooting. Now, Governor Abbott is trying to shield Castro from being held accountable for these serious charges by refusing to extradite him to Minnesota.  Abbott's refusal to extradite Castro is unconstitutional and violates federal law and Texas law. I will not stand for that, so I’m taking Abbott to court. Christian Castro will stand trial in Minnesota.”

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said Abbott is required by law to act.

"I don't trust Tim Walz on anything, let alone something like this," Abbott said during a Tuesday news conference. "While they're making demands, I got a demand of my own, and that is, it's time for Minnesota to step up and repay the United States of America and Americans for all the fraud that they have committed in their state under federal programs. I will not respond to them at all until they step up and do what's right, and they acknowledge their fault in the fraud that took place, and they fully repay the United States of America for the fraud they committed."

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office charged Castro on May 18, 2026, for his conduct in January.

Under Texas law, Castro must be released from custody after 90 days. Ellison's lawsuit argues Abbott's continued refusal creates a real risk Castro could be released and flee before standing trial.

RELATED STORY: ICE officer wanted for shooting a man in Minneapolis booked in Cameron County jail

Abbott has not responded to multiple requests for status updates from Walz's office and Moriarty.

The lawsuit asks the court to declare Abbott's refusal unconstitutional, compel him to issue the rendition warrant, bar Abbott and Cameron County Sheriff Manuel Trevino from releasing Castro, and award Minnesota attorney's fees.

Castro remains in custody at the Cameron County Jail. A hearing on the lawsuit was set for Oct. 27.

More News

Radar
7 Days