Texas man charged in 2019 fatal shooting in French Quarter
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A Texas man was indicted Thursday on a second-degree murder charge in the fatal shooting death of another man last year in New Orleans’ French Quarter, the district attorney's office said in a news release.
Leonard Patty, 38, whose city of residence was unavailable, would face a mandatory life sentence if convicted as charged.
The news release says Patty is accused of shooting Dilling, 34, following an early-morning scuffle on June 30, 2019.
Patty, who is in custody, had not entered a plea as of Thursday afternoon.
Prosecutors say police recovered surveillance video showing the shooting that sent bystanders scattering on St. Louis Street.
The video shows Dilling arguing with, then walking away from, a woman identified as his ex-girlfriend, the release says. “Dilling was then approached by a man wearing red pants, who later was identified as Patty, and who had been seen earlier speaking with Dilling’s ex-girlfriend,” the release said. "
The two scuffled and Dilling was shot in the chest.
The district attorney's office said Patty’s criminal history includes felony convictions for domestic violence and aggravated robbery in Texas.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Volunteers needed for beach cleanup
Visitations at Cameron County jail to resume Wednesday
1,000 job opportunities coming to Harlingen's Valle Vista Mall
Raising awareness about child abuse in the Rio Grande Valley
McAllen police searching for man accused of discharging firearm, evading arrest