Man released from Hidalgo County jail fatally hit by Weslaco non-emergency vehicle

3 months 2 weeks 6 days ago Monday, October 04 2021 Oct 4, 2021 October 04, 2021 7:08 AM October 04, 2021 in News - Local

Editor's note: This story has been updated with the identity of the victim and official statements from the city of Weslaco and the Texas Department of Transportation. 

Edinburg police are investigating after a man was fatally hit by a Weslaco Fire Department non-emergency vehicle outside of the Hidalgo County jail Monday morning, according to news releases from the city of Edinburg and Weslaco.

Just before 6 a.m., Edinburg police responded to the 500 block of East Cibolo Road regarding an auto-pedestrian crash.

When police arrived, they found a man, later identified as 35-year-old Juan Pedro Guerra, on the ground who had just been hit by a Weslaco Fire Department non-emergency vehicle. 

The city of Edinburg initially stated Guerra was hit by an ambulance, but later clarified he was hit by a Weslaco Fire Department non-emergency vehicle. 

Police say the vehicle was traveling westbound on El Cibolo when Guerra allegedly ran northbound across the road. The driver quickly stopped to render aid and initiated response by calling additional emergency personnel to the scene, according to the city of Weslaco. 

Guerra had just been released from Hidalgo County jail earlier in the morning, police said.

“We want to extend our deepest condolences to the family of the 35-year-old man, who tragically passed away this morning,” Weslaco Fire Chief Antonio Lopez said in a new release. 

The Weslaco Fire Department remains in contact with the Edinburg Police Department as the case remains under investigation.

The Texas Department of Transportation released a statement reminding people and drivers to look out for one another on the road. 

"One of the things that we see constantly with pedestrians is that the incidents that occur happen either because pedestrians do not yield to cars, or cars do not yield to pedestrians," said TxDOT spokesperson Octavio Saenz. 

More News

7 Days