x

Rio Grande City restaurant hit by break-in attempt, suspect still at large

Rio Grande City restaurant hit by break-in attempt, suspect still at large
56 minutes 46 seconds ago Tuesday, May 19 2026 May 19, 2026 May 19, 2026 10:26 PM May 19, 2026 in News - Local
Source: KRGV

Rio Grande City police are searching for a burglary suspect after surveillance video caught a man trying to break into Starr Barbecue on Monday.

The video showed the unidentified man firing a gun at the entrance and damaging the property.

The video shows the suspect pointing a gun at the restaurant entrance and attempting to get inside. When he couldn't get in, he threw a cinderblock through the drive-thru window.

"We saw the block in the middle of the drive-thru. The window was broken, and we saw the shack open, and we came in, and luckily, he wasn't able to come in," Starr Barbecue Owner Mario Gonzalez said.

Cameras also caught the man walking out of a shed behind the business carrying what looks like a rifle, then firing off-screen.

Gonzalez said the shed had a Bluetooth speaker, a gas tank, a propane tank, and knives inside.

"He threw stuff around; he didn't take anything,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez has run the restaurant for 17 years and said the break-in left him frustrated.

“It's a daily grind, and we have to work hard for everything that we have in here. Nothing has been given to us," Gonzalez said.

Rio Grande City police identified the suspect based on previous crimes. Chief Jose Solis said the man has a history of burglaries and thefts and lives in Rio Grande City.

"I know in the past he's had run-ins with us in reference to burglaries and thefts, but it has been quite a while since we have dealt with him. Once we saw the video surveillance, we were like, I believe it was this guy," Solis said.

No arrest has been made so far. Chief Solis also said the gun the man carried was a pellet gun, based on the sound of the shots fired.

Police are adding extra patrols near the restaurant. Solis said video surveillance makes it easier for police to deter crime and urged people in the city to stay alert and keep an eye out for each other.

Gonzalez estimates repair costs at around $1,200. He said the damage will not cause major disruptions for customers.

"We are not afraid, but we are concerned he might get upset and get mad at us and do something else. We are thinking about upgrading, making those extra expenses because of the acts of these individuals," Gonzalez said.

He also plans to add more cameras, including some inside the barbecue shed.

Watch the video above for the full story.

More News

Radar
7 Days