Cameron County confirms 3 cases of COVID-19 Delta variant
Three people in Cameron County have tested positive for the COVID-19 Delta variant, Cameron County Public Health announced Friday afternoon.
A 34-year-old man and 20-year-old woman from Harlingen and a 33-year-old man from Los Fresnos tested positive for the variant, according to a news release from the county. None of the individuals were vaccinated.
“As we have suspected, and have now confirmed, the Delta variant is spreading in Cameron County and is likely a major factor in the current spike in cases and hospitalizations,” Dr. James W. Castillo, Cameron County Health Authority, said in a news release. “We continue to stress the importance of being fully vaccinated to protect against this very contagious strain of COVID-19. Because of how much more contagious the Delta variant is than other variants of the virus, both unvaccinated and vaccinated people should wear masks when in crowded indoor environments to help reduce the spread during a surge in cases like we are currently experiencing in our community.”
Cameron County Public Health continues to emphasize the importance of following COVID-19 prevention methods:
- •Get vaccinated. Vaccination is the most important public health action to end the COVID-19 pandemic.
- •Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- •If you are in an area of substantial and high transmission, wear a mask in public indoor settings even if you are fully vaccinated.
- •Practice social distance and keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute to physical distancing.
- •If you are not wearing a mask, remember to always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- •Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- •If you are sick, call your healthcare provider and home isolate.
Hidalgo County on Friday also reported four new cases of the Delta variant.