Asylum Seekers' Court Dates Pushed Back
SAN BENITO – Asylum seekers’ immigration court cases have been rescheduled until after the partial government shutdown.
KRGV’s Angelo Vargas spoke with a woman who says she left El Salvador because her family could not survive the violence.
"We had to come because they tried to kill my husband. They shot him in the face and in the ribs. We had a small business and we had to sell everything due to extortion in El Salvador,” she says.
She says her next court date was originally scheduled for February but has now been moved to April due to the government shutdown.
La Posada Providencia in San Benito is her home for now.
The Executive Office of Immigration Review sent a notice in December on their lapse of appropriations.
The notice explains some cases will proceed as planned and others will reset and resume once the government opens.
For more information, watch the video above.
SPI sees massive economic boom, 230% increase from last year
Valley Made, Local Strong: Vargas BBQ
New city hall, transit center to open next year in San Juan
U.S. extends non-essential travel band to July 21
Hidalgo County Sherriff's Office finds stolen Chevy, continues search for persons of...