Gear Failure in Brownsville Blaze Leaves Firefighter with Burns
BROWNSVILLE –One of the two Brownsville firefighters injured in a blaze is recovering well after his equipment caused him several burns.
Authorities said a family lost their Brownsville home on Austrian Pine due to a grease fire on Thursday.
Brownsville Fire Chief Carlos Elizondo said one of the firefighter’s equipment melted, leaving him with third-degree burns. He said the fire turned into a rescue mission after they received reports that someone was inside.
Nobody was inside the structure, but two of his men were hurt. The other firefighter who suffered smoke inhalation is still recovering in a local hospital. He’s expected to be released on Saturday.
Elizondo said extreme temperatures of up to 700 degrees melted their equipment. The flames scorched their jackets and damaged the first layer. Although they didn’t burn through, the protective layer steam caused the firefighter burns.
“(It’s) good equipment… (it) did what it was supposed to do and it saved the firefighter’s life.” He said.
Elizondo said they plan to use the decommissioned gear to train other firefighters. He advised people should never face a fire without the proper protective gear.
Three in custody following narcotics and prostitution investigation in Alamo
Harlingen hip-hop group hoping to feed the homeless with monthly events
Legacy of Black Civil War soldiers taught as part of UTRGV project
San Antonio ceremony honors executed Black World War I soldiers
Wild boars spotted in neighborhoods near Rio Grande City
UTRGV women's basketball falls to Seattle U at the Fieldhouse
PSJA North's Markus Rendon signs with Texas Lutheran University
Harvest Christian girls basketball eyeing back to back state titles
Sabercats dominating through the area round of playoffs
Boys High School Basketball Area Round Highlights