U.S. Citizen Struggles to Receive Social Security Card

U.S. Citizen Struggles to Receive Social Security Card
4 years 11 months 8 hours ago Thursday, July 25 2019 Jul 25, 2019 July 25, 2019 5:43 PM July 25, 2019 in News - Local

WESLACO - A Rio Grande Valley man is locked in a struggle with two government agencies, trying to get a United States social security card.

Ramiro Gaytan was born in Chicago, Illinois but at a young age he was forced to move to Mexico.

“I have been wanting to get my social security card and my ID. I have been trying for years, but they have placed so many obstacles,” says Gaytan.

Obstacles that started more than 40 years ago; he says his parents never gave him a social security card.

I was young and I didn't know that once you are born...You are born with a social security number. Really, I have no idea,” says Gaytan.

He shared with us the denial letters, the receipts and all the failed attempts on getting U.S. documents.

Gaytan says he provided a birth certificate, a copy of the hospital record of his birth and a Mexican passport which also proved his U.S citizenship.

CHANNEL 5 NEWS got in touch with Lee Alviar, a social security office spokesman.

Alviar couldn't comment on Gaytan's case, but offered tips on what people can do.

“If they did not have a social security number depending on their age now, we need to see first the original documents, established before the age of five. Plus something that showed the history from them to now,” she says.

Alviar says people can visit a social security office where they can check to see if they have a number assigned to them.

If they don't have a number then they need to show up with evidence that they have lived outside the U.S for an extended period of time, such as school or employment records.

For people who have lived in the U.S, school records or copies of tax records to prove they were never assigned a social security number can also be used.

For more information watch the video above.

More News

7 Days