Valley Man in Induced Coma Due to Lung Complications Linked to Vaping Products
MISSION – A Rio Grande Valley mother wants to warn others of the pain her son is experiencing after being put into an induced coma.
Janie Lewis says doctors told her chemicals from vaping products caused her son’s lungs to deteriorate.
“He told me ‘momma, I can’t breath and I am scared’ and then before they intubated him and they put him into an induced coma he said, ‘momma I’m scared. I love you. Please, don't give up on me,’" described Lewis.
Her son, Jaydee, has been in an induced coma at an Arlington hospital for more than a month.
His lungs still are not showing any signs of responding to treatments.
E-cigarettes have been sold in the U.S. for about 10 years and their popularity has arguably never been higher.
As of last week, the Centers of Disease Control launched an investigation due to a multi-state outbreak of a disease associated with vaping products.
According to the CDC, there are 215 cases nationwide being investigated, including one death.
Watch the video above for the full report.