Atmos Energy settles house explosion suit after girl's death
DALLAS (AP) - Atmos Energy has settled a wrongful death lawsuit with the family of a 12-year-old girl who was killed in a 2018 natural gas explosion at her home in northwest Dallas.
The terms of the settlement have not been revealed, but the attorney for the family of Linda "Michellita" Rogers says the girl's parents are pleased.
A gas buildup led to an explosion that killed Michellita in February 2018. There had been three such blasts in the area in three days. The lawsuit accused Atmos of negligence for not warning the neighborhood.
Internal Atmos emails revealed its employees were probing and fixing gas leaks behind the Rogers family home before the explosion.
The Texas Legislative has since passed two natural gas safety bills that are awaiting the governor's signature.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Kelly-Pharr Elementary named a National Blue Ribbon School
Methamphetamine seizures increase along southwest Texas border checkpoints
City of Pharr invests in drone to assist with emergency situations
Mission cancer patient weds in hospital due to pandemic
Weslaco parent concerned for his child amid virtual learning