RJ Barrett to enter NBA draft after 1 season at Duke
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) - RJ Barrett is leaving Duke after one season to enter the NBA draft.
Barrett announced his decision Wednesday in a video posted on social media . He said playing at Duke is a dream but added that "it's also a dream of mine to play in the NBA and have great success there."
School spokesman Mike DeGeorge said Barrett plans to hire an agent but has not yet chosen one.
The AP All-American averaged an Atlantic Coast Conference-best 22.6 points along with 7.6 rebounds while forming half of perhaps the nation's most potent one-two punch along with classmate and roommate Zion Williamson.
Barrett is widely projected as a lottery pick.
The decision came as no surprise. After Barrett in February became the first Duke player since 2006 with a triple-double, coach Mike Krzyzewski said the ACC's leading scorer was only "going to be here a very short time."
He helped the Blue Devils earn a No. 1 ranking in the final AP Top 25 and claim the top overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. Duke was knocked out by Michigan State in the East Regional final.
Barrett was Duke's most consistent scorer, scoring at least 13 points in every game with six 30-point performances. He had 33 twice - first in his college debut against Kentucky, and then in a home loss to North Carolina after Williamson left in the opening minute with a blown-out left sneaker and a right knee sprain.
Williamson and classmate Cam Reddish have not yet announced their plans for next season. Point guard Tre Jones said earlier this week that he would return for his sophomore year.
For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.