North Carolina city releasing video of fatal police shooting
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina police chief says video footage that's about to be released shows a man fatally shot by an officer was armed.
Charlotte leaders held a news conference Monday to urge calm ahead of the scheduled afternoon release of body camera video from March 25 when 27-year-old Danquirs Napoleon Franklin was shot at a Burger King.
City leaders say protests are planned. Mayor Vi Lyles urged the community to engage in a peaceful discourse about what happened.
Police Chief Kerr Putney said that the video is hard to watch but that there is "clear and compelling evidence" that Franklin was armed.
Police have said an officer fired when Franklin refused to drop his weapon. A witness told a 911 dispatcher that he had been threatening restaurant employees.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.