Valley Fire Official Urging Safety Precautions When Using Space Heaters
EDINBURG – As temperatures are expected to dip into the 30s across the Rio Grande Valley on Monday night, fire officials say it’s time to consider safety when it comes to space heaters.
An appliance expert says she makes sure customers know what they’re buying before they go home with the product.
While these small devices can warm you up quick, a fire from a space heater can spread in a matter of seconds.
Edinburg Fire Chief Shawn Snider says most fires are caused by people not checking to see if their heat source works beforehand.
Snider stressed to keep flammable items, such as blankets, curtains or other furniture, at least three feet away from a heater and to not use an extension cord; plug the device directly into a wall socket.
Watch the video above for the full report.
Harlingen police release identity of female found dead on roadside, suspect charged...
33-year-old Combes man arrested after nearly striking officer with vehicle
Cameron County sheriff's deputy responding to vehicle fire involved in crash
NWS meteorologist advises Valley residents to prepare ahead of hurricane season
Hotel owner in South Padre Island stepping up health safety procedures