Man found guilty of animal cruelty following death of 19 dogs
A man was found guilty of 19 counts of cruelty to non-livestock animals on Friday, nearly three years after Cameron County authorities discovered a warehouse with hundreds of dogs kept in crowded kennels and unhealthy living conditions.
Steve Woodington was arrested in September 2019 after he claimed to be the owner of the warehouse that housed the dogs. A total of 19 dogs did not survive, according to a news release from the Cameron County District Attorney’s Office.
The investigation began when the Cameron County Sheriff’s Department was dispatched to assist the Cameron County Animal Control in investigating the warehouse after neighboring residents reported hearing dogs barking throughout the night.
When officials arrived at the location, they encountered a “foul smell,” the news release stated.
“As they conducted information, they quickly realized that there were over 300 dogs held in different-sized kennels,” according to the news release. “Several dogs were crowded in the same kennel and were in very unhealthy conditions and need of medical attention. Some dogs were covered in feces and urine, and others had opened wounds. A total of 19 dogs did not survive this cruel situation.”
Woodington claimed he was operating an animal rescue that was housing the dogs until they were placed for adoption, the release stated.
Sentencing for Woodington is scheduled for Thursday, September 29.
Cameron Co. Sheriff's Office Investigating Animal Cruelty Case Involving Nearly 300 Dogs
Cameron Co. Animal Cruelty Investigation Connected to Missouri Case
3 people facing animal cruelty charges after authorities found a warehouse of mistreated dogs in Los Fresnos
City of Brownsville sues refinery following pollution concerns
Groundbreaking held for new hike and bike trial connecting Weslaco and San...
Classes to resume at Sharyland ISD campuses following electrical malfunction
Point Isabel ISD addressing safety concern at a high school campus
Sharyland ISD ends school day for two campuses due to electrical malfunction